Doran Scales (USA) – The Challenge: Quality Control Verification and Packaging Accuracy.
A producer of margarine and other non-dairy spreads needed a means to verify that their Quality Control (QC) procedures where being implemented. Their QC procedures required a sample to be taken every 15 minutes at the filling machine. Based upon these weighments the filling machine was adjusted to keep the product weight within the desired tolerance. They were hand recording the QC samples which were then transcribed into an Excel™ worksheet. At issue was the amount of time required to create usable QC reports from hand-written records and a concern that QC checks were not being performed as required.
- A Doran 2200CW was placed at the fill machine and connected to the company’s computer network.
- The fill machine operator performs the QC check by scanning the product UPC code which recalls that products tolerance information from the scale memory.
- The product information, weight, tolerance, time and date is sent over the network to Doran’s Excelerator Data collection program which creates a detailed QC report in an Excel™ workbook.
- Each weighment has a time and date stamp to validate that QC procedures are being implemented.
The Return on Investment: One Month. Using this system the production yield was increased 1%. This resulted in a substantial savings for this company as shown below:
- Increase Yield: 1%
- Average Shift Production in lbs: 24,000
- Average Product Cost per lb: $0.17
- Product Savings in lbs per Day: 720
- Product Savings in lbs per Year: 187,200
- Total $ Savings per Day: $122.40
- Total $ Savings per Month: $2,448.00
- Total $ Savings per Year: $29,376.00
The return on investment for this system was realized in less than one month and as a result the net one year affect on profit margin (Total one year savings minus weighing equipment and installation costs) was $27,476.00!
For more information about the 2200CW Checkweigh Scale from Doran Scales click here.
Cân điện tử Hoa sen vàng – Golden Lotus Measuring Equipment
Other Articles from Doran Scales (USA)
© Doran Scales (USA) / International Weighing Review / blog.hoasenvang.com.vn